Raymond Everett was born in 1926, a nephew of Jack and Wally Cole (see Rye Pottery).
He first learnt to pot from an Indian potter during the Second World War while serving in the army in India. At the end of the war he returned home and studied at the Beckenham College of Art.
He joined his uncles at Rye Pottery in 1947, and worked his way up to Pottery Manager before leaving in 1960 to start his own pottery - the Raymond Everett Pottery.
|The Potteries of Rye, 1793 onwards by Carol Cashmore|
When Ray Everett left Rye Pottery in 1960, he started Raymond Everett Pottery, working from a shed in his back garden. He soon realized that the lack of comfort, space and amenities would not allow him to make a sufficient number of pots to earn a living.
In 1960 he moved into a basement in Conduit Hill, Rye, and was soon making new kilns and other improvements to help him keep up with the demand that resulted from the prominent position of his new premises.
By 1966, when the pottery closed, he was working to full capacity and making more pots for export than for the home market. In that year he was offered a position as a tutor in ceramics at a new college in Crawley. He accepted the post and handed over his premises to his old colleague from Rye Pottery, Dennis Townsend.
After the move to Crawley he continued to pot at home, and after his retirement from teaching in 1980 he set up The Ray Everett Craft Pottery.