Roeginga vase (mark)

Roeginga vase (mark)

See also:

Roeginga vase
This item is not for sale, but you will
find many that are in our  

Roeginga vase (mark)

Roeginga Pottery
 

In 1938 Oscar and Grace Davies sold Upchurch Art Pottery and immediately started Roeginga Pottery at nearby Rainham. Roeginga (pronounced roe, as in sturgeon - ginger, as in many fine Cantonese dishes) is the Roman name for Rainham. The Romans were pretty big in that area - Watling Street, the famous Roman road runs by. Roman pottery was made in the area -- but that's another story.

Edward Baker managed Upchurch, and the Davieses installed his son, Edward junior to run Roeginga. There was a hiatus while both Oscar and Edward junior served their country in the Second World War, but Edward returned in 1947 and the pottery's name was changed to Rainham Pottery. In 1956 Edward bought the company and it became Rainham Potteries Ltd.


 

Please support our sponsors and help offset the cost of maintaining this site by clicking on the banner links.

Leauger elephant