The Longwy pottery was established towards the end of the 17th century in a Carmelite convent in the Meurthe et Moselle region of France near the point where France, Luxembourg and Belgium meet. The owners of the convent and pottery were the Huart family, and by 1865 had passed into the hands of Fernand and Hyppolyte d'Huart. They built new workshops and forsook the models, figures and reliefs that had previously been made in favour of earthenware decorated with enamel in the style of cloisonné.
This style, which they called Emaux de Longwy, continued as their main output and the style by which Longwy wares are recognized. Production has continued since, interrupted only by the two World Wars, and while the styles have changed with the times the general appearance of the pieces has remained unmistakable.
The company trades under the name Société des Faïenceries de Longwy et Senelle, Senelle being the location of their second plant which was used for firing from the time the pottery was first established.For more information on Longwy see Fabien Leclercq's web site Histoire des Faïences et Emaux de Longwy.