Rainham dish

Rainham dish

See also:

Rainham dish (mark)
This item is not for sale, but you will
find many that are in our  

Rainham dish - 4½" (114 mm) diameter.

Rainham Pottery
 

Rainham Pottery can be considered an offshoot of Upchurch Pottery. In 1938 Oscar and Grace Davies sold Upchurch Art Pottery and immediately started Roeginga Pottery at nearby Rainham. Roeginga (pronounced roe, as in sturgeon - ginger, as in many fine Cantonese dishes) is the Roman name for Rainham. The Romans were pretty big in that area - Watling Street, the famous Roman road runs by. Roman pottery was made in the area -- but that's another story.

Edward Baker managed Upchurch, and the Davieses installed his son, Edward junior to run Roeginga. There was a hiatus while both Oscar and Edward junior served their country in the Second World War, but Edward returned in 1947 and the pottery's name was changed to Rainham Pottery. In 1956 Edward bought the company and it became Rainham Potteries Ltd. Edward retired in 1975 and the pottery was closed.


 

Leauger elephant