The Zsolnay factory was set up in 1862 at Pécs, Hungary, for Ignaz Zsolnay to produce creamware. The project was funded by his father who, when Ignaz failed to make a success of the business, transferred the running of the factory to Ignaz's brother, Vilmos.
Towards the end of the 19th century traditional designs gave way to influences from the middle- and far-east, and Vinsce Wartha took time out from his duties at the University of Budapest to develop a red iridescent glaze for the company which was in use by the turn of the century. Gold lustre was used and became something of a trademark.
Various members of the Zsolnay family worked as decorators and designers. Miklós Zsolnay took over the running of the company in 1900, and Laszlo Mattayasoveszky-Zsolnay became artistic director in 1922. In 1949 Zsolnay became a nationalized company.
|Zsolnay Ceramics: Collecting a Culture by Federico Santi and John Gacher|