Margaret Leach was born in Cheshire in 1918. She studied at the Liverpool School of Art. Although no relation to Bernard Leach she joined the Leach Pottery in St Ives in 1941, staying until 1945 when she left to look after her sick mother.
Margaret took over the disused Barnhouse Pottery at Chepstow, Monmouthshire in 1946. She reinstated the premises as a pottery and worked there until 1950 when the lease ran out. During her time at Chepstow she used a mark with a V over a W very similar to the Volkswagen car symbol. The W and V stood for Wye Valley where Chepstow is situated.
In 1951 she joined an ex-colleague, Lewis Groves, at the Taena Community where she worked until her marriage in 1956. After marrying she stopped potting.
Her work was in slip decorated red earthenware and of very high quality. In the relatively short time she worked as a potter she built a strong reputation and her work is exhibited in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
|Further Reading:||The Leach Legacy by Marion Whybrow|
|Studio Pottery by Oliver Watson|